Dual Rec, tube sockets slightly melted???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny13

Reaction score
Hi new to posting on the board. great site
I have a dual rec (3 channel), 9 years old, I just changed power tubes and noticed the one socket was slightly melted at rim. It just had a lil dip on the edge. The amp works fine, never had an issue, Is this normal??
Those power tubes were in for about 5 years.

thanks in advance for the advice

Hi there, only thing i can tell ya is that right before i had 2 tubes go bad on my trip rec, they really lit up and got hot! so that may have happenned to yours at one time??
good luck
John

I would say that this is not normal. I'm not very intimate with the circuitry behind the power amp section, so I couldn't say what could be the problem. How loud do you play? I suppose it might be possible for a really hot power tube to melt the socket a bit, but you'd think that Mesa would have planned for that.

As a side note: for the love of god, replace your power tubes more often than every 5 years! Every year should be the norm, unless you play a lot or very loudly.

If the socket is a shiny, off white color it is a ceramic socket. AFAIK all Rectos use ceramic powertube sockets.

This is an example of a ceramic socket:
8pinfenderceramic.jpg

Believe me, your amp would catch fire before the socket would melt, so chances are it is just a manufacturing 'blem'. Unless it is covered in a black soot type substance (evidence of arcing), don't worry about it.

Dom

Latest posts

Back