DR Preamp tubes need swapped? or whats the Deal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MESAWADE

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Ive recently plugged into my other guitarists Dual Recto and noticed that his Vintage mode on channel 3 sounds soo much better than mine. I use Modern mostly, but have realized lately that I cannot cut through enough and its too Harsh and trebley and real muddy, and I cant EQ it out without losing the tone and attack I want... I can totally get the sound I desire out of channel 2, but I have my setup set so i have CLEAN, CRUNCH, and BALLS, but i'd like my BALLS channel to be more mid driven and similar to channel 2 but more distorted

Ive had the head for 4 years, and i can only imagine its time for a preamp tube swap, but is that the problem? Or could it be something else?

Thanks bros
Wade

PS, i know i posted this previously in the wrong forum, so i apologize

See, I changed my pwr amp tubes like 4 months ago...I guess I have been gigging a good bit lately, but Ive changed my pwr tubes like 3 times since I got the head....hmmm....I just need to do everything.

thanks bros
Wade

What tubes did the other one have in it? Switching preamp tubes will change your tone, maybe he was using different preamp tubes? If you just changed your power tubes 4 months ago then that isn't the problem... experiment with different 12ax7s in V1 and see if you like the changes the different brands will make in your tone.

Did you guys have comparable settings? He might have been using the output knob for volume and you are using channel masters for example.

Mind posting your settings? I'm curious how you have it dialed in.

Where are the pre-amp tubes? I have a 550 and Don't see anything I know what the power tubes look like but what do the preamp tubes look like.

Latest posts

Back