Detuned ext. cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plan-x

Reaction score
I removed one speaker from my 2x12 ext. and it sounds bigger and fuller. In essence, I have created a huge front port that's not tuned to a specific engineered size, hence the name "Detuned" port. For this to work, the cab has to be closed back, and have a depth of no less than 12". My bass player already complimented my tone, just tonite at the gig which is definitely better than the 2x12 combo by itself. Ive been using a detune set up at practice with another amp and the sound is so much better than 2 speakers loaded in. With my pig stack the only problem is using one 16 ohm speaker does not keep up with the 2 C-90's wired @ 8. So I'm gonna throw an 8 ohmer(V-30)in there see if that does the trick. I'm really going for mixing up my speakers to get a nice blend. So more experimenting.

That's a cool thought...my recto cabs are probably too deep to try it though. I've been experimenting with my LSC through my different cabs recently too, and wow does a well worn Traditional 4x12 really open it up! I guess I'm just not a fan of C90s. Now if only I can get that short headshell built!

-dave

plan-x said:
With my pig stack the only problem is using one 16 ohm speaker does not keep up with the 2 C-90's wired @ 8. So more experimenting.
Update.
I am using a single weber silver bell ceramic 16 ohm in the detuned cab, and the Pigs' 2 C-90's wired in parallel @ 8 ohms were dominating the mix. I just unplugged one of the C-90's giving a great balance of the speakers @ 16 ohms each. The tone is bigger, and fuller. This works great in a 3 piece band. I always suspected mixing a weber with the C-90 in the 2x12 combo would certainly sound good. Doing it in a detuned ext cab is even better. :D

Latest posts

Back