DC10 power tube query

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joey the possum

Reaction score
Hi, I have had my DC10 head for 2 weeks now and have been noodling around with the eqs and such to find my sound.

Whilst on this search I found the lead side of the preamp to produce a good bit of hiss because I run hi gain and I play in a metallic hardcore band so I have to run pretty loud as well to get over the loud drums.

To defeat the hiss I run my overall master around 7.5 and only turn up the preamp master as loud as I need, usually around 2-4. I also run a Boss NS-2 in the effects loop with the loop turned all the way up on the amp and the threshold maxed and the decay all the way down on the NS2. Which works terrifically!

So my question is will I burn up the power tubes faster by running them at 7.5 instead of running them around 5 with the preamp master around 5. Or do the power tubes burn at the same speed whether they are wide open or barely turned up to 1 or 2?

Thanks for reading my ramble and thanks in advance for any answers/advice.

If the end volume is the same I doubt that the power tubes would wear any faster. One thing that I notice with my DC-5 is that when the output level (overall master) is turned up the amp sounds a little fuller . It seems that when it is turned down it looses a little bottom end. Another point I will make is if you look at the F series amps, which are basiclly a decontented DC series IMO, they do not have the output level control. They are always running full tilt. I have not heard of any of these amps burning up tubes quickly.

Latest posts

Back