DC-5 Combo Speaker recommendations

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lockbody

Reaction score
Just got a DC-5 this week, and other than having to replace the aged MB tubes (my SED =C= and JAN Phillips 12ax7s in spots 2/3 really woke the lead ch up), I thinking: "It's Mark based right? An EVM should rock in it.

Anybody else using a differect speaker than the MC-90?

Plus, my 4x12 halfback has 2x90s, but also 2x G12-65s which are a tad dark for this amp. I need some different speaker to replace those 65s. Any recommendation for those? Of course, the first thing that comes to my mind is EVMs!

All this DC talk and only one other person (that I can find with the search) uses something other than the stock MC-90?

I'm using a Mojotone Greyhound in mine right now and it is ok, but really not made for that amp. I used to use 2 Greyhounds with a '66 Pro Reverb and they sounded great.

I'm thinking EV or Weber or Tone Tubby for mine, but I'm broke right now.

I have a Thiele with EV that I'm running with my DC-5 and it sounds really good.

I also tried a Celestion Gold alnico speaker. It was incredibly warm, but had no clean headroom. I had overdrive on the clean channel at bedroom volumes.

What's it about the stock MC90 you don't like ...that may help focus the discussion/replies...

Edward

edward said:
What's it about the stock MC90 you don't like ...that may help focus the discussion/replies...

Edward

I've never been a fan of the MC-90s in Mk based amps. I mean, they're "ok", but not as nice as the EVMs are for sure. EVMs tend to smooth out some of the "mid-ness" in the Mks that Celestions always tend to exagerate, even the 90's and they're more even than just about any other Celestions.

I did like them with my old Stiletto Duece, though.

Some other areas I thought the stock speaker could be improved was more clean headroom, less lower-mids for both channels, and a better top-end response.

gts said:
It sounded like he was more concerned with the 65's, not the C90's

I want to swap those, too. I'll probably end up swapping the combo's speaker plus the two '65s in the cab.

lockbody said:
edward said:

Edward

Some other areas I thought the stock speaker could be improved was more clean headroom, less lower-mids for both channels, and a better top-end response.

Well on that front, you'd certainly do well with an EVM12L as it would have much less pronounced mids voice and more defined top end, especially with cleans and (the other extreme) saturated OD. Not certain it would yield less lower mids ...would have to do an A/B comparo for that, but it's a great all-around speaker. And you just cannot get an EVM to do speaker distortion (at least I can't), so that should help your desire for more headroom.

FWIW, I really like the MC90 in my DC5 combo (though I didn't like it in Mesa's little 112 open-back cab for the MKIII ...now THAT sounded boxy and middy). But when I add the EVM-Thiele to the combo, cleans sound positively huge! A very tight bottom with lots of authority, and crystally highs are what this cab adds to the game. If you want stunning cleans, forego the spkr alone and get the Thiele cab with the EVM, IMHO.

Another you may consider are the Emi RWB or the Swamp Thang. I've loaded both in a SF Fender I love, and both do well. I feel the RWB is more "balanced" across the freq spectrum, while the ST is similar, but with more pronounced very bottom and very top ...sounded good, but a bit "too much" for me and I preferred the more "natural" tone of the RWB. Both have high wattage ratings and high sensitivity, so you should also do well with more clean headroom, too.

Edward

I have a 4x12 cab loaded w/ 2 MC-90's, and 2 EVM12L's, that I use to play my Mark IV through combo through, and I have the option of using it by itself or in conjunction w/ the combo speaker, which has the EVM12L in it.

Admittedly, the EVM in the 1x12 compact combo by itself is a bit too mid strong and a tad boxy, (but can be tamed w/ proper tone and eq adjustments) the real treat is the combination in the 4x12, which is cavernously huge, deep, full, balanced, and down right kicks arse!

For me the combination of the 90's and th EV's is awesome.....

good luck w/ your DC...

All the best,
Kurt

For me the combination of the 90's and th EV's is awesome.....

That's what I found too.

I took the C-90 8 ohm from my 1x12 3/4 back and put it in the combo. It sounds very warm and rich compared to the Greyhound and has much more headroom than the Celestion Gold I had in there before.

I put the 8 ohm EV that I got from AJ in the 3/4 back cab.

It sounds really good. Smooth, with no emphasis on mids, and the sustain is on tap like a good keg.

I'm gonna leave it like this for a little while and see if I like it in a few weeks. If I change anything, I'll swap speakers and see if I like the EV in the combo instead.

So far, the C-90 is the best speaker that I've found for my combo. I had this same revalation with my LSS. It has the right combination of frequency response and headroom for great cleans and great distorted tones.

Latest posts

Back