Current Production EV12L

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPski

Reaction score
We all know that Electro Voice is making the EV12L Black Label 300w speaker. But I recently discovered that Electro Voice is making the 200w EV12L again. Has anyone tried one yet?? Check it out here: http://www.zzounds.com/item--ELVEVM12LCLSC

Wow....I'm glad they are bringing them back. Those were my favorite speakers back in the 80s. I wouldn't mind picking up those last two that they have in stock.

I honestly cannot tell the difference between the Black Label and my old 12L's. It's about time they brough these back, but **** there expensive.
I bought the Black Label for $ 299.00 when it first came out.

thread hijack unintended....

How do EVM12L's sound in a closed back cab? I am interested in high-gain non-scooped metal tones, so plucking a 12L I already have, and matching it with another 12L in a closed 2x12 cab would be nice option.

EVM12Ls sound great in closed back cabs. They are an articulate speaker and really cut through the mix. I actually like them better in a closed back than an openback. In an openback, they tend to sound a little harsh at times, IMO. The closedback tends to remove some of the piercing/harsh highs.

They are also most people's choice in Mesa Thiele cabs. And they were also used in the closed /bottom section of the old Mesa Steel Grill 4x12 cabs.

Just keep in mind that they are very articulate, cutting, and clear, and won't distort or color your tone much.

For a while I was running an Altec 417-8H in my MK I RI, so I put the EV in a closed back 1 X 12" cab I have. That speaker sounded amazing in that cab. I was pushing it with a Traynor Bassmaster and it became my favorite clean amp (with a Real Tube Reverb patched between the channels). It would rival a Twin Reverb. I put the EV back in the MK 1 and the Altec in a Studio .22+ and all is still well. But I really want another EV for the 1 X 12" cab.

I built this sealed cabinet for a EVM12L when I bought my original Boogie back in '78. Built well but heavy for a 1x12 cab ... cab weighs 45 pounds. It's still going strong ... does everything I want. It can also compete with guys with 4x12s on stage. Awesome speaker ... still completely satisfied. :D

B_Boogie.jpg

I have a convertible cab by KK Audio that goes closed back/open and ported/unported. The little cab is great for really dialing in your speaker. I like the sound of the closed back ported sound a la Thiele but even unported it sounds great. I kind of like closing the front door slightly sometimes too to remove some of the highs too. The hinged back door lets you dial in the amount of openbacked-ness that you want also.
fb1nn9.jpg

501so9.jpg

3d1ph7.jpg

It may look like a Frankencab but it has more versatility than any one single cabinet. I noticed that you have a couple. :lol: I really didn't want to have to go that way because I already have 3 full stacks. :shock: The idea of having the 1x12 was to not have to kill neighbors and to be able to get different sounds. I really don't care what it looks like because the sounds that come out of it are incredible. :wink:

If it works for you...then that's all that matters......

........you know after looking at her again...and a few drinks later -- she's still ugly :shock: :wink:

Latest posts

Back