Combo vs Head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emoshurchak

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to purchase a Mark lll head with a 1X12 cab which would mean parting with my blue stripe 1X12 combo. I don't have all the details on the head yet other than it has the GEQ and hardwood cabinet which I really like. I have never played through a Boogie head/cab and was wondering if I can expect a difference in the tone from my combo. Also, could anyone give me a rough idea of the going price on the head/cab vs the combo (both with hardwood cabs). The main reason I am considering the switch is that the head/cab should be easier to move around than the combo which weighs a ton!

I converted my Mark IV from a combo to a head and never looked back. If you use a Mesa open back compact cab it will sound exactly the same. On the other hand it gives you many options like 4x12's and Thiele cabs that can really change things up.

+1 on the head/combo idea. I love being able to run a head through whatever cab I wanna play through or whatever is available to me.

i favor head.

GD_NC said:
I converted my Mark IV from a combo to a head and never looked back. If you use a Mesa open back compact cab it will sound exactly the same. On the other hand it gives you many options like 4x12's and Thiele cabs that can really change things up.

+1 on the conversion for me too, my back thanks me now. although a recto 412 aint no walk in the park as far as weight.

Definitely a big fan of a head over combo--unless you can run the combo with a nice 4x12, but that's alot of working ovetime. I have a Fender combo that sounds excellent into my Marshall cab, but after alot of gigging that way up and down stairs it definitely takes a toll. So.. yeah definitely, I'll be in favor of head/cab combination.

All the Best,
~Nep~

Thanks for all the input guys. I went in to look at the head and it turns out it is a Mark llA based on the serial number. It is 100/60 watts with equalizer and reverb and the cab has a 15" EV speaker. It has a wicker cane grill but the covering is a brown leatherette material (not sure if it is original Boogie) that is a bit rough. The asking price for the unit is $700. Sounds like a reasonable price if it is in good condition. I'm not sure if I'm ready to part with my Mark lll though.

Latest posts

Back