change tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockmeamadeus

Reaction score
I play a triple rectifier on the vintage mode for my dirty channel. I like a lot of distortion but im not playing alot of metal. I have it set on spongy and silicon diode(hi power). my ideal tone would be to have a good amount of distortion where power chords and chords with open notes that ring out sound good and well pronounced. i know this is a popular question but should i consider changing the stock tubes for a different model tube? if so, which ones?

Since you play a triple, I would do as much research as humanly possible about tubes before taking the tube plunge. NOS pre tubes can add a whole other dimension to your amp with the right guidance. Try putting a screamer or other low gain booster in the front end, or experiment with a compressor in the loop for a little more sustain. What kind of sound are you going for?

i had 6 new 6l6 tubes installed about a year ago. I am relatively happy with the tone i can get from the amp as is, but since it is a vesatile amp, i would like to see what else it can do. are the 6L6's pre tubes or power tubes? I actually have been using a ibanez tube screamer with the amp and it adds that extra punch. I would like to be able to achieve a similiar tone as the guitar in mogwai's glasgow mega snake. Im not sure if you are familiar with that song, but it is heavely distorted and you can hear all the notes in the chords ring out

fishyfishfish said:
Try putting a screamer or other low gain booster in the front end, or experiment with a compressor in the loop for a little more sustain. What kind of sound are you going for?

good point-

I recommend a compressor to tighten the bottom end and compress the sound and enhance the more vocal like qualities of single notes.

To answer your question; 6L6s are power tubes.
There are some preamp tubes with less gain characteristics.

Tubegear Junkie

Back