Chanel 2 acting funny with tone pots.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sicman71

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new here. Hopefully, someone can answer this for me. On chanel 2 (overdrive) when I turn down the tone pots, the amp goes quiet. Also, the pots don't seem to be changing the tone much. Chanel 1 (clean) works great. It's a F-30. Wondering if the pots are bad, or the tubes need replacing?

I'm pretty sure when you have them all turned down the amp won't pass much of a signal. The volume comes through as you open up the tone controls.

The general rules with Mesa tonestack is:

- Treble knob has biggest effect and the higher the Treble setting, the less effect the Mid and Bass knobs will have

- decrease the Bass as Gain is turned up to reduce flab

- Mid can add more gain over a certain level

Mesa tonestacks take a bit of getting use to and they don't behave like a lot of amps.

Check out the manual on pages 4-5 and see if your amp is responding as described or try some of the suggested settings:
https://mesa-boogie.imgix.net/media/User%20Manuals/F-Series.pdf

You'll see in the suggested settings for the drive channel that there is very little variation in where the knobs are set.

If it really is unresponsive it may be bad solder joints on a pot/pots, bad pots or possibly bad preamp tubes but beyond troubleshooting the tubes (see pgs 14-15 of the manual) you would probably want a tech to have a look at it.

Latest posts

Back