Can a III be dialed to do I tones?? Advice for 1st Boogie

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolWillie

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
New member, 1st post.

The main question: Can a Mark III be dialed and set to cop Mark I tones?

Specifically: Mick Jones/Clash tones and Keith/Ronnie Stones tones that were done with Mark I's.

Examples of the tones I'm after: (Not sure if it's ok to include links here so I'll just say these are all on You-tube)
The Clash: Tommy Gun, Death or Glory, Pressure Drop, Clampdown. (Check out the singing leads, resolving often into feedback)
The Stones: Beast of Burden, anything from Tattoo You (I think..)

Why not just get a Mark I you ask? I'm finding that they are difficult to find, they are more expensive, and I like the additional versatility of the Mark III. There are many Mark III's available. I'm very tempted by one for sale that is either blue or green stripe, fully loaded, with footswitches, simul-class for just under $1000.

I have some familiarity with the Mark III as the other guitar player had one in a band I used to play in. I really liked the tones that he got with it.

As you might guess I'm not in need of metal tones, but rather from clean, to bluesy break-up, to raunchy classic rock, to fat singing leads. I absolutely love the tones from Mick Jones and Boogie era Stones. That is what I'm really after.

My concern is that a Mark III may be too tight and aggressive, maybe too bright for what I'm looking for. However, everyone seems to say that they are extremely versatile and can do many different tones.

Sorry if it's a bit of a long post...
Any help and advice you can give is greatly appreciated!

Hi there and Welcome to the board.
I don't own a Mark I but use to jam out with a guy who owned one moons ago. IMHO, the tones are there...and plentiful. Rolling back the 'volume' and the 'treble', using quite a bit of mids, and slammin' the master ( pushing the power section) will put you right there at that nice rich just over break-up tone--which will also in return give you some great cleans as well. The 'lead master' and 'lead drive' will give you those excellent leads your looking for.

If you've got GEQ (graphic eq), you'll be able to further sculpt it which gives you endless possibilties --- as well as the push/pull knobs. Also, take the time to experiment with preamp and power tubes as they'll change it into a completely different amp all in itself. They're great amps. Once you get to understand how they work, the ride begins. I say go for it. Good Luck!

If you get a Simul-Class, it will definitely not be as bright, tight, and aggressive as a Mark I.
Simul-Class, with two tubes at 60 watts, and two at 15 watts (25 for the green stripe), will yield a softer, spongier sound than the original 60/100 watt Mark I.
The reissues are more versatile, as they have the Tweed Power option, so you can use 6V6 tubes for a softer and lower output power sound.
I'd guess a blue stripe 60/100 (all green stripes are Simul-Class) would be a bit closer to the Mark I.
I owned one for a time and it for sure had a more aggressive tone compared to the more forgiving blue stripe Simul-Class I was used to.

Answer "Yes" and "No". I own a Mark I and my buddy had a Mark III (Simul-Class).

Depending on your tolerance of taste / hearing how close you want to get to those Mark I tones.

Mark III is a very versatile amp compared to Mark I. But the gain on the Mark III is extremely sensitive so you would have to lay-off the Mark III's lead gain. Maybe the Mark I tone is in the Mark III;s Rhythm hi-gain setting.

But comparing the two, they're actually different animals. I even think the tone controls are design slightly different, but that just an opinion (mine).

I actually spent today trying to find some mystical Mark I tones on my 60 watter. I felt like I came close...but I also felt like I was going to melt my 50 watt eminence practice speaker out of its ported enclosure trying to chase down some JBL D120 tones. I'll try again tommorow with my big Celestion 2x12. Rolling off the highs and cranking the mids certainly did it, but finding where you want the amp's gain character to come from is kinda getting me...Obviously the Mark III produces alot of gain from it's treble stage (ala IIC/+) so the trick to getting those amazing woody Mark I tones is keeping it alot lower, around 5... I'm still working on it, but it's coming along well. The tones are definitely there though, and wow, I still never get tired of turning knobs on these amps!

Did some more work tonight trying to dial in some of the earlier boogie tones: Have some of the equation figured out. Since I dont have a Mark I right here to listen to but I can record myself I do happen to think the SM57 favors the treble reduced, high mid tones ALOT, because when I hit record, it was Ron Wood and Santana left and right and my ears weren't hearing it as much as the SM57 was doing it's magic. Im running on the lead channel with the lead drive way down and the volume up (like the Mark III was a single channel amp) and the lead bright, treble shift and pull deep engaged. Seems to be firing close to all cylinders. I'll let you guys be the judge.

Back