Cabinet to beef up Express 5:50 1x12?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjlenox5

Reaction score
I play rock, blues, soul, groove with a 335 semi hollow. Looking for a cabinet with a fatter sound to push more air on stage. Any suggestions for the style of music I play? Not sure about specific impedances with the 5:50, will have to look at the manual.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/ExpressCABS/Express2x12-LG.htm

that's an obvious choice but if the speaker you have now fits your style why not add 2 more?

cjlenox5 said:
I play rock, blues, soul, groove with a 335 semi hollow. Looking for a cabinet with a fatter sound to push more air on stage. Any suggestions for the style of music I play? Not sure about specific impedances with the 5:50, will have to look at the manual.

The solution I used was to get a custom 2x12 cab made with V30's wired so I can use

a) both the combo speaker and the cab together = 3 speakers. I often place them on either side of the stage.
b) just the cab
c) just the combo

all up it cost me 40% of the cost of a Mesa cab :mrgreen:

custom cab would be ideal but not sure how to make one or cheaply buy one. I do have a fender deluxe speaker that i used for years. In fact I am looking for a gritty speaker to experiment pairing with the mesa's clean beauty. Looking for perhaps a vox or fender cab.

cjlenox5 said:
custom cab would be ideal but not sure how to make one or cheaply buy one. I do have a fender deluxe speaker that i used for years. In fact I am looking for a gritty speaker to experiment pairing with the mesa's clean beauty. Looking for perhaps a vox or fender cab.

I just bought 2 Celestion V30 speakers and went to a local cabinet maker who's made amps & speaker cabinets in the past for hi-fi, guitars, keyboards & various stuff. I chose my 6 ply timber and used the same listed dimensions as the Mesa cab. Also added a couple of recessed carry handles you don't get on factory made 2x12's. You can then choose how you want the electrics wired up, series or parrallel, how many outputs etc. :mrgreen:

Boogafunk. Custom Thiele cabs for less than half that of a Mesa. Mine's got a Jensen C12K in it. Not a bad speaker, but I think I want to experiment more. I think I could do better. Either way, the cab is solid and pretty sweet. The dude is really great to do business with as well.

soundchaser59 said:
nothing better than THIS!!

Put a real EVM12L in it, or a high power Weber.... and stand back! It will cover anything you pump into it....

Holy Crap Batman! That does look good, especially for the small coin he is asking. You have done some biz w/this guy? I have two Celestion GT75's from an old 94 Marshall combo. The tubes have already moved on to another life. The thing is just a speaker box now.. Two of those cabs could be sweet.

Did you cover them with tolex or paint 'em?

Heritage Softail said:
soundchaser59 said:
nothing better than THIS!!

Put a real EVM12L in it, or a high power Weber.... and stand back! It will cover anything you pump into it....

Holy Crap Batman! That does look good, especially for the small coin he is asking. You have done some biz w/this guy? I have two Celestion GT75's from an old 94 Marshall combo. The tubes have already moved on to another life. The thing is just a speaker box now.. Two of those cabs could be sweet.

Did you cover them with tolex or paint 'em?

EtherealWidow said:
Boogafunk. Custom Thiele cabs for less than half that of a Mesa. Mine's got a Jensen C12K in it. Not a bad speaker, but I think I want to experiment more. I think I could do better. Either way, the cab is solid and pretty sweet. The dude is really great to do business with as well.

I could be mistaken, but...... this guy IS Boogafunk. I stain mine...... you cant beat that price for nothing, but I think it's a disgrace to paint wood. A while back I bought a much lesser cab from a builder in Des Moines for the same amount of money. If I had even half that mouch ready to spend I'da jumped on this cab a long time ago.....

Ha. Well fancy that. He is indeed Boogafunk. Well if you don't want to build it yourself you could always have him do it. I love mine. Wine Taurus with a metal oatmeal grill. Little fucker is sweet.

EtherealWidow said:
Ha. Well fancy that. He is indeed Boogafunk. Well if you don't want to build it yourself you could always have him do it. I love mine. Wine Taurus with a metal oatmeal grill. Little f%&# is sweet.

Off Topic - I was listenting to your stuff on YT. You a fan of gypsy minor scales? Sounds a little like that, Locrian? I can say I have not heard that sort of atmospheric music. Evokes images of scenes on the unusual side. Cool background licks for riff. You doing an ascending scalar sequence sort of thing?

For $300 to get two decent cabs and deploy my old GT75's, Mr. Boogafunk is playin' slap bass to my song..... I love that name for a business. There is a ladies hair joint back in SC called 'Curled up and Dyed".... another classic biz name.

For those of us that are all thumbs in the wood shop :), I picked up a used 3/4 back Mesa widebody extension cab and it really sounds good. I also picked up an Express extension cab. Here's a pic:

4250622481_a81afc9a4e_b.jpg

I'm tall so having the controls up high is great. In this configuration I use the amp as a head with the two extension cabs. Otherwise I use the amp/speaker with the widebody.

Heritage Softail said:
EtherealWidow said:
Ha. Well fancy that. He is indeed Boogafunk. Well if you don't want to build it yourself you could always have him do it. I love mine. Wine Taurus with a metal oatmeal grill. Little f%&# is sweet.

Off Topic - I was listenting to your stuff on YT. You a fan of gypsy minor scales? Sounds a little like that, Locrian? I can say I have not heard that sort of atmospheric music. Evokes images of scenes on the unusual side. Cool background licks for riff. You doing an ascending scalar sequence sort of thing?

For $300 to get two decent cabs and deploy my old GT75's, Mr. Boogafunk is playin' slap bass to my song..... I love that name for a business. There is a ladies hair joint back in SC called 'Curled up and Dyed".... another classic biz name.
I'm going to be honest, I know near nothing of music theory. Trying to get into it so I'm starting from the very very basics. How to make major scales and then just a tiny tiny bit of modal theory. Found out what relative minors are. I always thought I had a bit of "gypsy" to my playing. I looked up some gypsy scales and it can sometimes seem similar to what I do. Although I think I do a lot of diminished stuff. Still not sure what the hell I play. Either way, Thank you!

Is that you shredding on "Solo Test"?

I don't know much about metal or shred, but sounds like some pretty carnivorous guitar licks there.......coool.

So even though the name is Ethereal Widow, you are a one man operation? Until I went to your page, I had assumed a widow was a widow was a widow was a woman...... :oops:

soundchaser59 said:
Is that you shredding on "Solo Test"?

I don't know much about metal or shred, but sounds like some pretty carnivorous guitar licks there.......coool.

So even though the name is Ethereal Widow, you are a one man operation? Until I went to your page, I had assumed a widow was a widow was a widow was a woman...... :oops:
Ha. Thank you. I was just trying to test whether I liked Class A or Class AB better and whether I liked the cabs mismatched or not. And yup. One MAN operation. And yes widows are women. A widower is a man who lost his wife.

I looked it up, I play mostly in the phrygian dominant mode. It's the 5th mode in a harmonic minor scale. I looked at the locrian mode too. I don't think I've even touched it.

My 335 goes through an EVH Overdrive then into my 5:50 (1x12) which is plugged in to a Mesa 2x12 cab (all 3 speakers punch it out).... In short stick with Mesa and everything will sound fat!

Latest posts

Back