Cabinet For Use With Mark V Head?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j.d.hall

Reaction score
Hello there, I'm looking into acquiring myself a tasty new Mark V amp head, and I was wondering which speaker cabinet I should use with it. I'm looking mostly for a tight, focused shred tone, much like John Petrucci's. I'm seeing that he uses the Mark V with the Stiletto 4 x 12" cabinets. A 4 x 12" cabinet is kinda out of the question for me, so, I would like to go with a much more practical and manageable 2 x12" cabinet. Based on my requirements of wanting a 2 x 12" Mesa cabinet, with a closed back, smallest dimensions and Celestian Vintage 30 speakers, that narrowed me down to the Stiletto 2 x 12", the and the Roadster 2 x 12". Both of these cabinets are the exact same in terms of dimensions and other specifications, however, the website states that the Roadster weighs in at an extra 2 pounds heavier. Aside from that, the only difference I can see is that the Stiletto cabinet has silver grille piping, whereas the Roadster has black piping. I used to own a Roadster 2 x 12" that I used with my Roadster amp, and I quite liked it, however, without being able to do much A/B-ing at my local music store, due to their scant stock, I was wondering if anyone could educate me on the differences of these two cabinets, tone-wise. One further thing...the quality of the high gain tones here are more important than clean ones. I already have a LoneStar head and a LoneStar 2 x 12" cabinet that takes my breath away when it comes to clean tones. Thanks!!!

So far as I know, the Stiletto and Roadster 2x12s are identical aside from the difference in stripe.

The weight difference can be chalked up to manufacturing tolerances, or the the cabs being weighed on different scales.

Latest posts

Back