Cabinet choices

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wads3

Reaction score
I was hoping some of the Mark IV vets would comment on this.

My current rig consists of a Mark IV B wide body combo on top of a vert. 2X12 ev 12L loaded mesa cab. I picked up the cab used for 400 bucks a while ago. I feel like I am fighting to get the tone I want due to the speaker/cab combination I have. It seems to be very bright and harsh no matter what I do.

Thought a: Turn my combo into a head and use the 2X12. ( I do gig alot so this would skinny down my rig.)

Thought b: Pick up a thiele......

:lol:

Its a sealed cab. I'm using SED winged C 6L6's in the power section. V1 - Tung sol V2 - JJ High gain V3 - Svetlana V4 - Tung sol V5 - Electro Harmonix.

top speaker is sealed too? is it a recto vert or an old skool one?

i was going to suggest if its an older one (with the top speaker open on the back) to try a different speaker up top like a celestion c90.

It must be an older one. I bought it used. It is completely closed.

wads3 said:
I was hoping some of the Mark IV vets would comment on this.

My current rig consists of a Mark IV B wide body combo on top of a vert. 2X12 ev 12L loaded mesa cab. I picked up the cab used for 400 bucks a while ago. I feel like I am fighting to get the tone I want due to the speaker/cab combination I have. It seems to be very bright and harsh no matter what I do.

Thought a: Turn my combo into a head and use the 2X12. ( I do gig alot so this would skinny down my rig.)

Thought b: Pick up a thiele......

:lol:

I was suffering the same dilemma and was originally going to switch amps until I plugged my combo into an older Marshall 4x12 with Greenbacks (Celestion G12M). I ended up buying something similar loaded with G12H cones (they are 30 watts each vs. 25 for the Greenbacks and sound a little 'darker'). My amp now sounds incredible. I'd say, go out and play a bunch of stuff and see what sounds right to you... but please try an old Marshall cab. Here is my rig. You can see in the picture I've also mounted the amp in a rack. I will say, moving the rack is more of a challenge than the combo, but it sounds great! I hope this helps.

do you already have tested the IV with only the external 2x12 cabinet?? if you tested and like it, you already have your choice, which is option "a".

if not, the thiele will be a great choice. 8)

You don't have to use the speaker in the combo if you use the 212 cab. Maybe the open back c90 is not to your liking or maybe it's your settings(watch that presence knob!). Have you messed with your settings? Maybe try beam blockers? Does your 212 have a metal grill or the cloth grill?

Maybe put the combo on the floor? Speakers pointing at your head are going to kill you with highs.

Greg

Latest posts

Back