Buying combo for recording and small gigs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonR

Reaction score
I need a combo to record an album demo and probably more here , its prog metal so will need a range of sounds i currently have a 1976 marshall jmp 100 watt stack, rocktron phrophesy2 and boss gt6. I'm looking at a nomad 45 worried it may be too noisy for recording lonestar special maybe it doesnt have the distortion i need and a dc3 30 watt combo also there is a roadster head a possibility , im buying second hand in Uk and have a limited budget a number of different guitars . I need good cleans right up to big distortion. Im not trying to clone anyones sound in particular just like to dial and fiddle until i can find a good sound :twisted:

Any ideas from mesa heads what would be best?

SimonR said:
I need a combo to record an album demo and probably more here , its prog metal so will need a range of sounds i currently have a 1976 marshall jmp 100 watt stack, rocktron phrophesy2 and boss gt6. I'm looking at a nomad 45 worried it may be too noisy for recording lonestar special maybe it doesnt have the distortion i need and a dc3 30 watt combo also there is a roadster head a possibility , im buying second hand in Uk and have a limited budget a number of different guitars . I need good cleans right up to big distortion. Im not trying to clone anyones sound in particular just like to dial and fiddle until i can find a good sound :twisted:

Any ideas from mesa heads what would be best?

Stiletto Ace

I m not going to find one second hand i think and ive basically got around £500 to spend which doesnt get you a lot in UK

Simon, on your budget I think it might be a challenge to find what you are after in an amp. What I'd suggest looking at is a good pedal and a small amp like a Fender Blues Jr. It's only 15 watts, but it has a really nice clean, and overdrives nicely at higher volumes; it's also relatively inexpensive. Run a good pedal in front and that will give you a variety of tones to work with. It is also EL84 equipped, so with that and the Marshall you'll have a variety of tones covered (which is a good thing for recording, it helps to differentiate the tracks if they are played through separate amps). Let us know what you decide?

Cheers,

Richt :D

Ive been offered the nomad 45 combo for £500 -pedal ive got rocktron prophesy 2 valve pre and multi effects

is the nomab good for the job or too noisy i can easily roll off some valve hiss with the limiter

Its possible i could pick up a road star head or a lonestar for similar money would these be better?

The Nomad will be good, for sure. 3 independent channels will give you lots of choices. If you could get a Roadster or Lonestar head for roughly the same, you should do yourself a favor and play through all of them. The Roadster has lots of flexibility (4 channels), plus the lineage of the Dual/Triple Recs. The Lonestar (2 channels) is classic tone all the way. Fender-ish cleans (better than?) to SRV type gain and beyond. I'm curious what you choose, so keep us in the know!

Cheers,

Richt :D

Its still looking like the nomad at this time but im waiting for the guy to get back to me to arrange a pick up, maybe a nice cheap mk4 combo will appear in the meantime.
I think the lonestar will be too clean for me as im looking for the kind of recto tones that apparently a nomad is able to produce as well as the cleans

If you are looking for a good pedal to go infront and you are in the UK, try and find a Jacques Fuseblower or a Tubeblower. Check out www.ts808.com . I have a fuseblower and if you have a good clean channel it can dial in some nice tones...

Latest posts

Back