Broken Mark III knob - can you help diagnose a repair? +pics

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AR

Reaction score
So, while moving from my apartment to the new house, something managed to break my Bass pull/shift knob while it was in the pulled out position. It must've been right on the edge of pulled/pushed because when I tried to superglue the stalk back together, it slipped inside and now I out of ideas.

Can you guys take a look and let me know what I'm looking at? Replacing the whole pot? Is that a home job or will I have to take it in someplace?

Just retubed it and it sounded so good, and now I think the bass is stuck at 10 :D

IMGP1475%20%28Large%29.JPG

IMGP1476%20%28Large%29.JPG

Rest of pics: http://makeharmony.com/images/view.php?gid=16

That's definitely in need of a replacement pot. You can order the pot from Mesa.
Installation could be tricky, if you've never worked on amps you may get the shock of a lifetime.....

It sounds like you're rather inexperienced with tube amps so I would advise taking it to a tech.
While he's got it on the bench have him clean all the other pots, and check the caps.....

Thanks for the reply -- it's not that I'm inexperienced with tube amps, I'm pretty good with any type of engineering, I just haven't taken this guy apart yet to see what's inside, and it's 21 years old so I'm not sure what to expect (for reference, I was 5 years old when this amp was made).

Is the pot just soldered to the PCB? 3 connections? 20 connections?

I know I'm going to have to eventually tear it apart and look for myself, but I haven't had time today (at work).

Thanks again --

If you have decent soldering skills it is not too hard,just a couple of wires soldered to the legs of the pot.Just do some research so you know what not to touch.If you play the amp right before opening it up,and turn the power off but leave the standby on and keep playing till you hear the signal die out,you will drain the caps sufficiently.But you should be aware of where the high voltage is in the amp so you can avoid getting shocked.The pot you are re-wiring has no dc voltage on it.Be careful.

Latest posts

Back