BROKEN!!! BLAH HELP!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codyrg

Reaction score
Ok, so I JUST joined the almight Mesa Family with my purchase of a Single Rec and a road king 2x12 today, so I restring the geetar and turn her on standby for about 5 minutes. When I fire her up all the lights come on and everything, but NO SOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have everything plugged in right, 4 OHMs on the head and jacked into the 4 OHM A/B jack in the cab......so what's wrong with my brand new baby :( :( :(

:( help please :(

it could be little things such as: check to make sure the guitar cable is plugged all the way into the amp and the guitar, volume on the guitar is up, or master and channel volumes on the amp are up. Also if you have another amp, check to make sure the guitar works on that. It could be something with the guitar jack. Thats all the advise i can give you now, someone else will reply with more technical problems there chould be.

Koprofag said:
-

And a thought.. are you sure you're running the right load? That 4 ohm thing sounds like a Road King setting. My 2x12 Recto cab has 8 ohm as standard, and I would think the 4 ohm setting would be used if you connected a Road King head in stereo or something.

unlike the recto 2x12, the road king 2x12 is 4 ohm mono and 8 ohm stereo. Most amp heads are mono so he probably has that right.

I'm not sure, but the 4 OHM is the only jack imput to run both the speakers the other two are for single speaker. I checked the guitar and it's fine, I have no pedals hooked up besides the footswitch and I'll take the off to see if it works. I'll fiddler with her some more and see if I can give you guys more info if I can't get her working.

It's new, but it's from Guitar Centers floor. I didn't play it today, but I have before so I know it works. No manual or anything with it, just the head and cab straight off the floor. I'm almost positive I'm doing things right but here I'll tell you guys how I'm doing it.

Plug in guitar with brand new (got it today) Monster Cable into head.

Plug brand new head to cab Livewire cable from the head at the 4 OHM jack farthest on the left (by the guitar imput jack) and plugging the head into my electric plug.

(I tried with and without footswitch so it's not that and I have it hooked into the amp)

Turning on the Standby and Power switch (standby first)

Leaving standby on for about 4-6 minutes.

Turning off the standby switch and playing..................no sound :(

EDIT and I do have another amp, the guitar with the monster cable worked fine in it.

codyrg said:
I'm not sure, but the 4 OHM is the only jack imput to run both the speakers the other two are for single speaker. I checked the guitar and it's fine, I have no pedals hooked up besides the footswitch and I'll take the off to see if it works. I'll fiddler with her some more and see if I can give you guys more info if I can't get her working.

wait, do you have one 2x12 or two 1x12s? If you have one 2x12 then both speakers should always have sound coming through them no matter how its plugged in.

I have the RK 2x12. The other two imput jacks say...A 8 OHMs closed back and the other one says B 8 OHMs open back, I just figured that if I plugged into one of those that the other speaker wouldn't play. I don't know a lot about cabs, this is my first one, so yea lol. Maybe I should try playing with those?

You could also check to see if the effects loop send and mix has not been turned down.

Riddick.

The FX Mix has to do with volume??? If so, that might be it because I think mine was down really low. Amp is warming up as we speak so I'll turn up the FX Mix and see if she roars.

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: BEENIE WEENIES!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW WHY I FAIL AT LIFE!!!!!!!!!! I've been leaving the Standby switch to the ON position and not Standby foolishly thinking that putting the Standby switch to the ON position made the amp go to standby.....****. Have I already wrecked my amp :( or just the tubes? Did it just kind of jar the tubes but they are still usable? GAH!!!!!

I was about to say you flipped the switches in the wrong order but you realized it before I got to your post. since you had everything plugged in to a cab, i don't think anything bad could've happened.

Flick the power first, then wait about a minute, then hit the standby switch to ON. should work.

Oh she plays alright! Yea, I can't believe I did that :( I have played tube amps before and own one, but I just had a brain fart...probably from the whole 8 hours of sleep in three days thing. Sucks I didn't figure it out until about 9:45 at night, I wanted to open her up. Oh well, I'll do in the morning when everyone leaves for work :twisted:

As I was reading this thread I was thinking that maybe your standby switch was not in the proper position when off then was again switched incorrectly when you tried to play. I had a friend (when I was a kid) whose standby switch was inverted for some stupid reason and everytime I went to play his amp I had to remind myself so I wouldn't screw up his amp. The first few times I tried to play it without knowing I felt retarded because I couldn't get his amp up and running. Shortly after getting my Ampeg VL head I forgot that it had the power lock and couldn't figure out why I was unable to play it. This happened a couple times. Luckily I had the key with me both times.

Latest posts

Back