Brian May Tone with the Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arsony

Reaction score
Hi guys... (and gals!)

Been enjoying toying around with my MkV:25 for a bit and exploring the different tonalities...

I'm a big fan of Queen and that Brian May tone... e.g. Hammer to Fall and We Will Rock You
I know he has a very unique tone thanks to his very unique guitar and of course the Rangemaster
Treble Booster he has on his AC30 and that many pedal manufacturers have tried to emulate
this tone and place it in a box.

Just wondering whether any of you Mk V owners here have come close to dialing in that tone
with or without additional pedals ....

I'm trying it out as we speak ; using a combination of the MKV:25 alone or with a boost pedal .
Using this one ...
http://miaudio.com/effects/boost-n-buff/

Will let you know of the outcome.... wish me luck!

Anyone has any success stories to share?

Arsony

Funnily enough, i happened to be learning "we will rock you" the other night in order to teach it to my nephew, he's also a big queen fan! I too really respect Brian May, he had an incredible vision of guitar in my opinion. Anyhoo, i got fairly close with edge mode on my Mark V with the gain, bass and treble jacked fairly high, no EQ, and a bright super strat style guitar. Sounded fairly close to me anyway. I'd try Crunch on your MkV:25, keep the gain low but drive the Treble, Bass and Mids a bit. Not overly familiar with the MkV:25 so i'm guessing a bit. Tweed on the Mk V gets fairly close to his sort of fuzz sound as well. Defo recommend a bright sounding guitar. Also hard picks too! You want bite in your plucking!

Brian May's tone is SOOOOooooo upper mid-heavy and smooth, I love it!.... And the Mark V is inherently a very mid-heavy amp too, that's why you see so many players with a "V" on the GEQ.

I'm sure it's in there?? I've had about every AC30 made since the mid-90s and several boutique AC30 type amps. I currently have my Mark V clean tone VERY close to an AC30 using Tweed mode (where I live most of the time).

Maybe try using the Tweed mode, broken up and then push it hard with a Tubescreamer (or another mid-heavy) pedal?

Allons'y

Back