Bought a used, possibly faulty Electra Dyne.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danyeo1

Reaction score
If anyone still posts here I’m wondering if you could help me out. I bought a Electradyne from GC dirt cheap, they said it had an output issue. I took a chance on it after playing it since it was really cheap. It powers up ok, sounds ok, it’s “kinda” loud but not as loud as I remember these amps. I did plug it into my friends WDW setup powering 3 4x12’s and I had the volume past halfway and yes it was loud. But I think the volume taper seems off, not sure. Anyway I plugged straight into the return and it’s loud but the channel volume and master volume have no effects on the volume, is that normal? I may start by swapping tubes, the amp is totally useable but it “feels” almost like a 50 watter, not a 90 watt beast.

danyeo1 said:
If anyone still posts here I’m wondering if you could help me out. I bought a Electradyne from GC dirt cheap, they said it had an output issue. I took a chance on it after playing it since it was really cheap. It powers up ok, sounds ok, it’s “kinda” loud but not as loud as I remember these amps. I did plug it into my friends WDW setup powering 3 4x12’s and I had the volume past halfway and yes it was loud. But I think the volume taper seems off, not sure. Anyway I plugged straight into the return and it’s loud but the channel volume and master volume have no effects on the volume, is that normal? I may start by swapping tubes, the amp is totally useable but it “feels” almost like a 50 watter, not a 90 watt beast.

Hello.

The fx-return goes direct to power amp without any volumes in line. So that’s normal behaviour.

If the amp is unmodded the volume taper is off to helluva loud to earth shattering within first 5 degrees.

So first tubes and some cleanup for fx send/return jacks and testing a bit more

I wonder if the volume pot was changed. The amp reacts more like the Triple Crown master. It doesn’t get that loud until halfway, I mean I played with my band with it on just shy of halfway. Past halfway then it really jumps, about 75% then it’s shaking my walls.

Guitar Center thought it was broke but they did have the bias switch set to EL34 and there’s 6L6’s in it. That had my worried but the only thing that seems off is the way the volume taper acts.

WOW! I would have bought it for that too danyeo! At first reading your post I thought tubes as well, but I agree, something sounds off to me. I'd have someone check the pot number and see if it matches one from the manual. Or from Boogie.

Brought it to a local tech and he fixed it in a day. It was part of the mute circuit that shorted out. The amp has a mute circuit to prevent the pop when you switch channels. These 2 little devices shorted out. $120 to fix.

Latest posts

Back