Boogie SOB 100 watt

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

es336td

Reaction score
Just got a Boogie SOB 100 watt head... has anyone found a manual? Anyone else on here used one? I played a 60 watt combo back in the late 80s early 90s and loved it...

I take it from what I've read on this board that this isn't a popular model... the red headed stepchild... don't understand it... when I used the combo back in the day, I used an A/B switch and had the clean/lead channel thing set up. I would use the Limit (never above 2) and definitely found the sweet spot... if I can find the recordings, I'll post them... If any one else has any form of SOB, I'd love to hear from you. Thanx!

It's not one of the most revered. It's basically a MK I reissue from 1984-1985. The MK I manual is as close as you can get to the operations. The 100 watt is the least common and there are only two with graphic EQ's that were made for Vivian Campbell.

Boogiebabies said:
It's not one of the most revered. It's basically a MK I reissue from 1984-1985. The MK I manual is as close as you can get to the operations. The 100 watt is the least common and there are only two with graphic EQ's that were made for Vivian Campbell.

Well, like I tell young folks looking for tone... use your ears and your budget and you can't go wrong... this fits the bill for me on both counts.

The only crappy Boogie I've ever owned/used was a .50 Caliber combo I had back in 98... just a bad amp... yeah it did the job, but they definitely worked the kinks out when they did the DC-5!

L

That's what really counts. It's a simple amp with nothing in the way.
It has good components, transformers and a MK I preamp. I just assume it fell out of vogue when all of the MK II's were available with graphic EQ's.
I admit, I am one of them but have found the pallete of tone with the EQ out quite pleasing. A few weeks ago I played for 10 minutes before I noticed the EQ was out.

The 59/60 Strat does not hurt the tone either. :wink:

Boogiebabies said:
That's what really counts. It's a simple amp with nothing in the way.
It has good components, transformers and a MK I preamp. I just assume it fell out of vogue when all of the MK II's were available with graphic EQ's.
I admit, I am one of them but have found the pallete of tone with the EQ out quite pleasing. A few weeks ago I played for 10 minutes before I noticed the EQ was out.

The 59/60 Strat does not hurt the tone either. :wink:

I hear you... I have an old MXR 10 band at the house, I can use that if I want EQ... never really used it that much on my DC-5 and don't have it on any amp now...

Yep, I have a 59 Strat and can't wait to hear that through the SOB and the Webers!

Ah, a blues hound I assume ?

The SOB can be pushed with a nice overdrive pedal. I use an Xotic BB Preamp on the clean channel and it is like another channel.

Nice Brazilian slab you have there.

Boogiebabies said:
Ah, a blues hound I assume ?

The SOB can be pushed with a nice overdrive pedal. I use an Xotic BB Preamp on the clean channel and it is like another channel.

Nice Brazilian slab you have there.

Yeah a bit... really anything... I'm a musical mercenary... which sounds better than *****...

I have a Boogie V-Twin which should do nicely. I know it sounds good with my Blues Jr and the Blues Deluxe I gave my kid. Gives me a pseudo Mk III type thing...

You mean this
OurFounder.jpg
old thing? Thanx!

Thanks for sharing. I had to pass on a 59 in Fiesta Red with a Slab fingerboard for $ 1500 when I was 22. I could not come up with the money. Now it's worth as much as a new car.

Nice Animal Tee. :D

Boogiebabies said:
Thanks for sharing. I had to pass on a 59 in Fiesta Red with a Slab fingerboard for $ 1500 when I was 22. I could not come up with the money. Now it's worth as much as a new car.

Nice Animal Tee. :D

$400. in 1974...

It's not all original... sold the dead pickups for $600... broken case for $200.... rusted keys for $300...

It has Fender Vintage Noiseless, Sperzel locking, Callaham block, Fender reissue everything else... when it was stolen, they stripped all my replacement stuff (even the bone nut!) and all that was left is neck and tuners and body... really miss the old aluminum shield that went under the pickguard. At least I got it back!

I was kinda hoping to "bond" with other SOB owners... I guess I'll wait until I get the thing and hook it all up.

es336td, I've "known" several SOB's since they first came out. The first one was excellent. The others took some work, after which, they were great sounding amps. Never needed the eq at all. You'd be surprised what good tubes at proper voltages can do for the SOB 8)

HipKitty said:
es336td, I've "known" several SOB's since they first came out. The first one was excellent. The others took some work, after which, they were great sounding amps. Never needed the eq at all. You'd be surprised what good tubes at proper voltages can do for the SOB 8)

I never used the EQ that much in my DC-5... like I said, I could put my MXR 10 band in one channel and make it work... I miss the effects loop probably the most. I know the 60 watt combo I borrowed for a short time was the shizzle!

SOB_100_Watt_Front.jpg

SOB_100_Watt_Back.jpg

I was on vacation when my 100 watt SOB head arrived, so I had a friend pick it up. I wasn't able to get to his house until tonight to try it out... he had it connected to a Line6 4X12 cabinet... OMG... SFA... I immediately remembered how to "drive" it from my experience with a 60 watt combo back in the 80s. I'm in love! I have a 2x10 Tremolux clone cabinet that I'm loading with two Weber California ceramic magnet high power speakers that will be the main cabinet, but the 4X12 sounded sweet...

If there are any other SOB owners on here, let's swap stories! This has got to be one of Boogie's overlooked models.

"Never mind... I guess the SOB is the red headed step child of Boogie... Sad "

Don't cry, there a couple of us SOB owners lurking about. I really like mine, and think it takes pedals as well as anything, but they aren't necessary, especially if you are a "ride the volume knob" kind of player like me.

hardtails.jpg

sobFront-1.jpg

sobBack-1.jpg

I finally had the time to spend some quality time with my Boogie/Weber rig last night. I found the nirvana that I had achieved originally with my friend's SOB 60 Combo and later with my DC-5 and 2X10 JBL cabinet! I first plugged it in with just a Morley ABY switch to go between channels. I dialed things in as I had done before on my friend's SOB and the sound I remembered was there. I then put my pedal board into the mix... Boogie V-Twin > Danelectro Rocky Road > Digitech XP-100 > Ernie Ball Volume Pedal > Morley ABY... I tried all the various types of music I do... country, blues, classic hard rock... I don't believe there's anything I can't do with this rig! I also played with the limit knob everyone disses... since it was late and the WIC (woman in charge) was looking at TV, I dialed the Limit to around 5... it didn't sound fuzzy and kept the tones I had dialed in. To make sure, I shut Limit down to 0 and compared it with the 5... the WIC said she had know clue I was playing. It was pretty loud! I did all this with my Epi Les Paul Standard... think I'll try Strats and other guitars tonight. If I get some pix, I'll put up one of the rig.

I am getting an SOB in a few weeks. I haven't been playing guitar that long but am sort of 'getting there' and recently have been looking for a proper amp. I was looking at Fenders until a few weeks ago when i tried, for the first time, a Mesa/Boogie. I was really impressed. For some reason I thought they were shredder amps and i really liked the clean tone as well as the tonal diversity of this amp (an Express).

As the cheapest Mesa amp in europe is 2000 dollars + i thought that i was going to have to put owning a Boogie on the back burner for a (long)while. Then a friend put me in touch with a guy here in Berlin who is selling an SOB.

Its a head. Apparently rated at 100 watts and has some mods. The secondinput now switches channels.

Also, something has been done to the valves. I don't know what exactly. One thing for sure is that it sounds a great deal better than anything i am going to be able to buy here in europe for similar money new.

It has a half power switch, presence but no reverb and the limit feature as well as the standard eq. I have to wait for two weeks until i have the money to pay him and i can't wait.

I have some beginner type questions which are related to the speaker i want to get and the cab i have. Perhaps i should post them in a new thread but maybe i put them here too -

100 watt head - do i have to use a 100 watt speaker ? I imagine i will mostly be using the half power feature for now anyway. I have a 1x12 cab with a Celestion G12H in it (30 watts) I assume that this won't work with a 100 watt head even in half power mode but could i get a 60 watt speaker such as a Vintage 30 and be safe ?

To be honest i don't mind damaging the speaker over time as long as it doesn't damage the head.

Also, i am not sure what impedance the speaker output is for the SOB head. Do i have to strictly match impedances ? I have heard you can go higher on the speaker side but not lower.

As my cab is a 1x12 i would love some suggestions for speakers. Celestion are the most convenient for me as they are UK based as far as i know and US speakers are more expensive here.

Apolgies if my first post is too long or OT,

Killian

Latest posts

Back