Best OD/Boost Pedal for 2007 Triple Recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkster57

Reaction score
First off, this is my first post to this board. I have owned a 20/20 Mesa Stereo power amp for years as part of my rack guitar rig. I just purchased a three hour used '07 3-channel Triple Rectifier with the black diamond plate and chrome chassis. I love everything about it, but I am having a hard time coaxing pinch harmonics out of it. I still have 4 & 1/2 years of warranty left on it, so I am reluctant to have it modded by Voodoo amps. Is there a boost pedal out there that can help make the squeals easier to get? Any settings I should be going to? I can coax them out sometimes on the third & second channels, but it's not easy.

Thanks,

Kirkster

I would suggest a Keeley Katana Boost but they only sound good on 2003 and 2006 Recs.

I have boosted my rectos with

(1) Rocktron Nitro - Clean boost only, it evens enhances the things you dont like about your amp. Tightens the amp a little.
(2) Mxr Zak Wylde Od - Very trebely and thin sounding od. Tightens up the amp and tightens bass.
(3) Ibanez Ts-9 - Not a true bypass and you can tell it, it adds mid to your signal even when not engaged. But it does sound good and tightens the amp up.
(4) Fulltone OCD - True Bypass - Enhances harmonics, adds punch and tightness, extremely transparent. This pedal has the most gain of all the above.

As you can see i have tried out alot of overdrives with my recto and the ocd finally has ended my search. When you pick it up and hold it you can even tell that it is made better than the other pedals. The OCD is my favorite, but the other pedals are good, and everyone hear things differently, so try as many as you can out, if you dont have that chance and can only choose one pedal, the OCD is the one to get hands down.

Thanks for the advice. Will the OCD help make the squeals come easier?

nathan28 said:
I have boosted my rectos with

(1) Rocktron Nitro - Clean boost only, it evens enhances the things you dont like about your amp. Tightens the amp a little.
(2) Mxr Zak Wylde Od - Very trebely and thin sounding od. Tightens up the amp and tightens bass.
(3) Ibanez Ts-9 - Not a true bypass and you can tell it, it adds mid to your signal even when not engaged. But it does sound good and tightens the amp up.
(4) Fulltone OCD - True Bypass - Enhances harmonics, adds punch and tightness, extremely transparent. This pedal has the most gain of all the above.

As you can see i have tried out alot of overdrives with my recto and the ocd finally has ended my search. When you pick it up and hold it you can even tell that it is made better than the other pedals. The OCD is my favorite, but the other pedals are good, and everyone hear things differently, so try as many as you can out, if you dont have that chance and can only choose one pedal, the OCD is the one to get hands down.

It makes the squeals sound more rich and gives them more sustain. The best way to put it is the OCD will give your amp a boost in everything: low end, mid, high end and gain. It will give your strings a more fluid like feel, which is what i like. For me, ive found if you dont boost rectos they are stiff, which does make it harder for me to hit harmonics. But usually on harmonics, the guitar, pickups and technique will have more to do with it. A boost is going to enhance, give you more, and some boosts will color. Do yourself a favor and buy the OCD, its 100% built in america and its built like a tank. Its all around a much higher quality pedal than any tube screamer ive seen. But if you do check out the tubescreamers look at the maxon namebrand ones, not the ibanez, Maxon's all have a true bypass and wont color your tone when not engaged. I liked the sound of my ibanez ts-9 and it was a good booster, but when it was not engaged it made my sound middy and very close to muddy.

Alright Nathan...Ijust ordered a OCD. I will let you all know how things turn out. The OCD must be popular it was hard for me to find one in stock. Thanks again for the recommendations.

Kirkster

nathan28 said:
It makes the squeals sound more rich and gives them more sustain. The best way to put it is the OCD will give your amp a boost in everything: low end, mid, high end and gain. It will give your strings a more fluid like feel, which is what i like. For me, ive found if you dont boost rectos they are stiff, which does make it harder for me to hit harmonics. But usually on harmonics, the guitar, pickups and technique will have more to do with it. A boost is going to enhance, give you more, and some boosts will color. Do yourself a favor and buy the OCD, its 100% built in america and its built like a tank. Its all around a much higher quality pedal than any tube screamer ive seen. But if you do check out the tubescreamers look at the maxon namebrand ones, not the ibanez, Maxon's all have a true bypass and wont color your tone when not engaged. I liked the sound of my ibanez ts-9 and it was a good booster, but when it was not engaged it made my sound middy and very close to muddy.

I use a Keeley Modded TS808 with true bypass for soloing on the MTR. Sounds much better than a stock TS9 IMO. Give me great definition when soloing.

I got the OCD pedal today. Best OD pedal ever. Gives me plenty of gain, but dosne't change the tone of the recto. It's like a recto on steroids. It's awesome. I highly recommend. Thanks for the info.

Kirkster

kirkster57 said:
Alright Nathan...Ijust ordered a OCD. I will let you all know how things turn out. The OCD must be popular it was hard for me to find one in stock. Thanks again for the recommendations.

Kirkster

nathan28 said:

I got the OCD pedal today. Best OD pedal ever. Gives me plenty of gain, but dosne't change the tone of the recto. It's like a recto on steroids.

Any chance of you posting a clip? I have been researching a boost/tightener for my Roadster Head, but in my local stores, all I can demo is the same ol' same ol'.
I want to hear an OCD, a Xotic AC, and a Xotic BB. These are the pedals that receive glowing reviews as "stock" pedals, but I cant check them out in person, and I have yet to see a video/clip of someone goosin' the front end of a dirty Recto with one.... I definately appreciate your reviews...

Laskyman

Is anybody try the new fullton FatBoost2 with triple rectifier?

the ocd is an amazing pedal i think you'll be very happy with it, id also recommend the ts9dx if you wanna try a different pedal later on, if you want more gain and more of an emphasis on a mid freq boost the ts9dx will do it ... the ocd boosts the lows mids and highs so its just a different tone boost, and if your having problems with pullin pinch harmonics it might be how you eq'd the amp. you might wanna try cuttin the bass and adding more mids highs and presence, but good luck with the ocd let us know what you think :D

Latest posts

Back