Best Noisegate?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herbie the Rad Dorklift

Reaction score
There's quite a range in price of Noise Gates, and I was wondering which you guys recommend?

I've been looking at the MXR Smart Gate for around £110, a whole £50 more than the Boss NS-2.

Why is this? Other suggestions welcome. :)

IME, the SmartGate is good if you have noisy pickups or high output pickups that induce noise into your rig. I use mine first in the chain and it kills any noise from my guitar when it is turned almost all the way down. As far as getting rid of hiss or all out noise from the amp, it may not be the best. The old BOSS NF-2 Noise Filter is pretty good. Hard to find as it's not made any more though. I used to have the iSP decimator and it was good but it was a very hard gate - roll the volume down and it starts cutting off your sustain if turned up too high. I guess this is the risk you run when using noise gates. If it's noisy pedals you are trying to cure, the NS-2 is supposed to work wonders and it can power other pedals. Good luck.

MusicManJP6 said:
IME, the SmartGate is good if you have noisy pickups or high output pickups that induce noise into your rig. I use mine first in the chain and it kills any noise from my guitar when it is turned almost all the way down. As far as getting rid of hiss or all out noise from the amp, it may not be the best. The old BOSS NF-2 Noise Filter is pretty good. Hard to find as it's not made any more though. I used to have the iSP decimator and it was good but it was a very hard gate - roll the volume down and it starts cutting off your sustain if turned up too high. I guess this is the risk you run when using noise gates. If it's noisy pedals you are trying to cure, the NS-2 is supposed to work wonders and it can power other pedals. Good luck.
Thanks, it's actually my TS-808 I'm trying to silence.

It's hummy, obviously, but also, when I'm running it in conjuncion with a high gain setting on my Mark IV, if I play a staccato riff there's a lot of noise left over, almost as if there's a delay effect.

I want a Noise Gate to eliminate this, but I don't want to "suck" my tone away! I mean it literally too, I know a guy whose noise gate would suck the noise away if it was a little quiet!

i used to use the BOSS NS-2 but recently changed to the ISP decimator. to me, the tone comes out much nicer.

-PJ

I have used the Boss Ns2 for years. It does add a touch a compression to your sound but what keeps it on my pedalboard is the fx loop. I used the pedal for 2 years and did not even realize the loop was there! When I finally put my overdrives in the loop the pedal really showed its value.

Basically, when you are not running any pedals in the loop (i.e they are not activated and being used) then the loop is bypassed which is great to maintain your overall tone.

I would give the NS-2 a try if I were you. The loop and additional power option make it a pretty useful tool on top of the noise reduction. Just buy used and sell it if you don't like it!

I use the ISP pedal. I really like it. I don't feel it colors my tone at all, but you have to be careful where you set it, especially if you play a lot of cleans.

For those who aren't aware, the MXR Smart Gate is Tom Scholtz's (Rockman) design and used to come in a half rack enclosure.

This might be of educational worth....

http://www.wolfgangregistry.com/guitar-reviews/smartgate.html

I've also been looking for a Noise Gate as well. I don't have a lot of extra hum from my pedals and such, just looking for something to cut the sound when i'm not playing and don't have to mute my strings as much.

I have both an MXR smart gate and an ISP decimator. I bought the Smart Gate because I love MXR products, but I really didn't feel it was very effective at all. When I later bought the ISP, I was very happy. Now my MXR is collecting dust and my Decimator is being used all the time. I definitely recommend it.

Herbie the Rad Dorklift said:
MusicManJP6 said:
Thanks, it's actually my TS-808 I'm trying to silence.

It's hummy, obviously, but also, when I'm running it in conjuncion with a high gain setting on my Mark IV, if I play a staccato riff there's a lot of noise left over, almost as if there's a delay effect.

I want a Noise Gate to eliminate this, but I don't want to "suck" my tone away! I mean it literally too, I know a guy whose noise gate would suck the noise away if it was a little quiet!

I use a Boss NS-2 and it work and sounds great. I actually played some staccato (with delay) today, works great, no shitty sound, only beautiful notes :D

+1 isp decimator!!! Got one last week, one knob to turn and no noise after you turn it. I have studied for hours if it degrades my tone, and with my ear a couple of others i cant hear any difference.

I wouldn't even consider anything other than the Decimator. If you can stretch to it, go for the ProRackG - probably the most useful piece of gear I've bought and definitely worth the money.

Latest posts

Back