Bass cab with roadster/recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdurso

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has tried a Recto head with the Mesa 2x12 bass cab?? It may sound weird because you would think just get a guitar 2x12 cab but i'm looking for a front ported cab and unfortunately the only two companies i've found that make them is genz benz and freda.... ive heard mixed reviews about the gflex and there isn't away to test drive a freda because they have no national retailers...... so back to my original question has anyone tried the mesa 2x12 bass cab?

May not be exactly what you are askring for but anyway..

I have not tried a mesa/boogie bass cab, but I'm using my 3-channel DR with JJ tubes with a 70s 2x15" Peavey bass cabinet and it sounds absolutely fantastic.

Gone is any high end buzz and left is an extremely deep, fat, sweet, breathing and singing sound. Depending on your sound preference I would recommend trying a 15" bass cabinet.

In his book, Steve Howe states that the Vox AC50 with a single 15" driver was the best ever amplifier/cabinet for his famous ES-175 D guitar. I believe that model's designed as a bass amplifier rather than a guitar amplifier.

can be done, you will more then likley loose some of your high's as i think bass speakers are not designed to reproduce the super high frequencies.

Mark T from creed/alter bridge has special made 2x15 cabs from mesa, and Korn have been known to use the Rivera fat bottem cabs for better bass.

The Genz Benz are great cabs, however the 4 ohm pissed me off and not to mention i didnt care to much for the speakers. But if you have your heart set on a ported, buy a Genz benz and just replace the speakers to your liking, this way you get the ported cab, speakers you want plus you can change the ohm's of the cab to make it 8 ohm instead of 4 ohm so you can use it with other cabs if you want.

good stuff guys....i've been doing a lot of research on tuned ported cabs (both bass and guitar) and what i've gotten, at least with 12" speakers is that the best sounding ported cabs for guitar are ones with larger/long pots on the bottom side of the cab.... round/horn-like ports similar to what the gflex or earcandy buzzbomb have create more of a directional/pushy tone within 10 feet of the cab much like a completely closed cab.... beyond 10 ft you start to hear the difference..... with a larger front ported cab like a freda or port city wave, you get a much more round, big tone and apparently you retain the tightness and punch of a completly close cab.... keep in mind i have never had a chance to play any ported cabs.... but i did get a chance to try my buddy's 2x12 eden cab and i was pretty impressed.... didn't have the high ends but that was expected.... now i'm wondering if you replaced the speakers in that sucker with v30s or eminence govenors would it sound good?

Yes, in terms of cabinet design, due to the low frequency limitations of virtually all drivers if you want very powerful response from 20 to 50 Hz you need either a transmission line or a true ported system. A true ported system typically means a long tube (minimum 8") with a reasonably wide diameter pipe. Less than that and you essentially have just eye candy.

I never got to pick at it.. but a 2x12 cabinet will have inherent frequencies... but the fact that it is voiced for bass because it is a bass cabinet may be noticeable...

Latest posts

Back