Balanced volume between clean,LO, and HI

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jeffp said:
I had an RA. I can tell you from personal experience it`s not the same. The ED had the best voicing by far! I`ll play with my JVM while waiting. Jeffp

See, this is the thing. In spite of the limited options / controls, the amp just sounds SO good. I got an Electra Dyne when I did because I don't want the amp to go out of production and then for everyone to finally realize how awesome it is. It is just a shame that the fatal flaw is super simple control scheme. I stand by my original assessment that this is an amp that doesn't sell well because the target market thinks Mesa would NEVER make something like this.

I AGREE 100%!......I want another. My son thinks I`m crazy after all I`ve been through. I`m thinking maybe in a couple of years they`ll redisign the user control portion and probably call it something else. Another BIG plus would be Midi capable! Jeffp

You can add MIDI capability with an amp gizmo or similar box. You could also add a boost in the loop that is MIDI controlled. But it will probably never come all in one package.

I think that the smallest, simplest solution would be a Dyne + G System. The G can control the amp switching and also set a channel-dependent master boost. You'd also get all kinds of effects, plus a programmable EQ. It would be small on the floor, and very powerful.

That`s what I had(Dyne & G).......I had a good quality boost in the clean mode..only I didn`t have the amp gizmo....and the timing was not synchronized when changing modes with the G system relays. I strongly considered the amp gizmo and a guitar with humbuckers too. The costs were just never ending to try and get it all at a level balanced volume when changing modes! I`m sure with midi it should have worked. But then i still knew I had a faulty unit. The sound quality was there for sure! But i had had enough by then!
I just got the G & JVM rigged up. This amp is Midi ready and $200 bucks cheaper and it sounds good. It`s got volume,gain,sep EQ`s and master volumes on each channell.......That`s just user friendly!..................I will be programming the presets with Midi this weekend.
I hope to get another MB later......when they make ED2

I've read a few complaints about lag with the G System switching, though I've never had that problem with mine. I have used the G system with a Studio Preamp, an F50, and have it on a Triaxis now (though that switches via MIDI, not the relays). I just got a GCX switcher for my Dyne and pedals, so it will be interesting to see if I have any problems with it.

Hi Jeff,

It's working fine, actually. I have run the G system with both the Dyne and my MR, and the switching works well. No lag that I can detect.

Of course I just couldn't make it simple... I have the G system controlling the Ground Control Pro via MIDI, and both the G system and GCP/GCX controlling pedals via their loops. Everything plays together pretty well, but it's too much junk on the floor, even with all the pedals in a rack.

I am stuck with this: Neither the GCP nor the G System has all the functions I want. I also have too many pedals for either. I really want a button to control everything, so I don't have to change presets to get different sounds. That aspect means I need lots of buttons on the floor. I can either have the GCP/GCX control a bunch of pedals, or I can put the pedals on the floor and control them directly, combined with teh Gsystem and either way it takes up about the same amount of floor space. I can also have the pedals on the floor along with the GCP, and ditch the G system, and again it's about the same amount of junk on the floor.

I originally wanted some basic automation, along with the flexibility of the pedals. I think that the GCP/GCX is the more likely final solution. The G System just doesn't have enough buttons for pedal control.

I'd be happier with EITHER the GCP or the G System if they had 4-5 more buttons for a bit more flexibility.

Right now I'm taking a step back to see what I am willing to give up in order to simplify the setup.

That is A LOT of buttons. Am I the only guitarist who travels with a head, cab, speaker lead, patch cable, guitar, and stock footswitch? The TWO buttons on the Electra Dyne footswitch CONFUSE ME!

I use about 6 of the buttons 95% of the time. The other 5% I go nuts and layer lots of stuff or just go for very different tones from what I normally use.

I printed out pics of the pedals that each button controls, so I don't get too lost.

One thing I really like is that I don't have to guess which mode I will go into coming out of clean. I have a button for clean, a button for V LO and a button for V HI. I can set up specific FX or pedals that go with each mode, like clean+comp+delay+reverb, V LO+delay, V HI dry, whatever.

wow........thats too much for me . too many choices, too many options= too much stress= not enough fun! Good luck! jeffp

I'm currently finding that the Electra Dyne has such an awesome edge of clean breakup, even on vintage Lo and Vintage Hi. I think that using the amp like 'three heads in one box' is the most effective application. I run the 'volume'(gain) quite high and I'm finding that fiddling with the volume knobs on the guitar gives me a huge palette of tones, just from Vintage Lo. Vintage Lo is quickly becoming my favourite channel on the amp. Vintage Hi is great for searing solos and heavy crunch rhythm but Vintage Lo has so much SOUL! Even the CLEAN tone on this channel is fantastic and can be had by simply switching to a rolled off neck pickup! Then you dig in a bit, and it starts to purr. ***LOOVE THIS AMP***

Totally! That's why I have a bunch of effects. 'Cause when you roll off the guitar volume and add a little phaser, or a bit of delay, it's AWESOME! And V LO plays well with a fuzz, with OD pedals, etc. I generally use V LO plus a BB PRe for solos, and set gain a bit light so V HI just a more cutting version of V LO. I use V LO 90% of the time.

Though my MR has been stealing time away from the Dyne...

it had to be a pretty interesting topic with over 2700 views! Everybody LOVES the voicing of this amp to my knowledge just the layout is a drag.

Yup. The layout is a huge drag. It would be much improved with separate controls for clean and crunch as well as an attenuator. I'd also like higher gain tones for articulate modern rhythm work. (Kinda sounds like the RA, doesn't it?)

I really think the RA *IS* the Electra Dyne 2. Mesa basically addressed all the issues and then changed the voicing to be a bit brighter and mid heavy.

Still, I like the Electra Dyne so much that I got it in spite of my Qualms about the extremely limiting interface. I found taking some creative liberties with my guitar set up (Pickup and pole piece height) made a gigantic difference. Basically drop the neck pickup and raise the poll pieces which gives it a brighter and less boomy tone. I run the bridge pickup high by comparison to give me more compression and girth for my drive tones. This allows the neck pickup to be used for crunch without getting overwhelmingly bassy and you don't have to re-EQ the tone for the Bridge Humbucker.

In my opinion, the nuance of tones is not something that is immediately perceptible live and conservative settings make for a very gig-able setup. For instance, I find that the volume (GAIN) can be too saturated in Vintage Lo when I dial in a good lead tone in Vintage Hi, BUT a lot of this can be adjusted for by simply turning down the volume on the guitar.

Ive been investigating the RA and am seriously thinking about getting one. I find it interesting that Mesa call it the "flagship" of the range including the TAs, but the RA is really nothing like those TAs. It is along similar lines as the ED with the "Blackface" Fender Clean and Marshall gain channels. Still the two amps do sound vastly different. The RA is seriously bright compared to the ED from my testing and the tone controls can only do so much. Anyone who has played a Marshall JCM amp will know what I mean there.

Even though Mesa made many improvements with the RA it still has one gain control for the Vintage modes. I think you will still have to ride the guitar volume to get good crunch and lead tones as the two modes are not vastly different gain wise. One thing I do like is that you can set the reverb to only be on in the clean mode.

The attenuator doesn't overly excite me, its nice to have but the amp sounds better with it off in most cases. Very few RA owners actually seem to use.

J.J said:
Ive been investigating the RA and am seriously thinking about getting one. I find it interesting that Mesa call it the "flagship" of the range including the TAs, but the RA is really nothing like those TAs. It is along similar lines as the ED with the "Blackface" Fender Clean and Marshall gain channels. Still the two amps do sound vastly different. The RA is seriously bright compared to the ED from my testing and the tone controls can only do so much. Anyone who has played a Marshall JCM amp will know what I mean there.

Even though Mesa made many improvements with the RA it still has one gain control for the Vintage modes. I think you will still have to ride the guitar volume to get good crunch and lead tones as the two modes are not vastly different gain wise. One thing I do like is that you can set the reverb to only be on in the clean mode.

The attenuator doesn't overly excite me, its nice to have but the amp sounds better with it off in most cases. Very few RA owners actually seem to use.

Is it more fair to say the RA is a cross between an Electra Dyne and a Stiletto? As far as I am aware, the Vintage Lo circuit on the RA was inspired by the Dyne. Anyway, I'm happy I got the Dyne. I wanted to be sure I picked one up before it goes out of production.

YellowJacket said:
Is it more fair to say the RA is a cross between an Electra Dyne and a Stiletto? As far as I am aware, the Vintage Lo circuit on the RA was inspired by the Dyne. Anyway, I'm happy I got the Dyne. I wanted to be sure I picked one up before it goes out of production.

I still love my ED and would most likely keep it if I get an RA. The best way I can describe the pair would be as cousins. They do both overlap in areas, but extend in different directions. My reason for looking into the RA is that I am now playing in a more modern pub rock type band that seems to need more gain and better mid focus than I can get with the ED. The RA power stage seems more consistant across its volume range, where the ED has many faces. The RA only has a class AB output stage and does not do simul-class like the ED so you don't get that interesting change in tone when switching from 50watt mode to 100 watt.

I haven't played a Stiletto since before I bought my ED so my memory of it is less than perfect. I'd say you are on the right track with the ED/Stiletto cross. The RA certainly has the awsome clean and reverb that the Stiletto wishes it had :lol: The RA has another level of gain over the ED. RA vintage low seems have at least as much as the ED vintage hi mode.

The RA vintage low circuit would have to be pretty similar to the ED. It does have all the dynamics, perhaps even more due to the cutting mids. The gain pot tapper is very nice and lets you find the edge of breakup tones where you can play almost clean and break into heavy crunch by digging in. The upper mids seem to make this more convincing than the ED at low volume too. Both the clean and vintage modes have a rawness to them that is great, but can't be dailed out, it just it nature. The ED can get pretty raw, but can also be made way more polite. one thing that I think Mesa improved over the ED vintage low is that bass boost that can cause mud with the ED has been removed in the RA.

yep.........much too bright for me though..........of course i think everything should go back about 35years to the good ole days! jeffp

Jeffp, did you try the RA with a band ever? I often find that Boogies sound much better with a band than they do for practicing. **CURIOUS**
I also like darker tones but I dial in the 'Electra Dyne' quite bright and I cut the bass because it is really unnecessary.

+1

I find that if I sound thin by myself, it's perfect with the band. Cuts through at lower volume and doesn't step on the bass.

BTW, got my GCP/GCX setup running with the Dyne last night. It's great to have some automation for the pedals. I am especially thrilled that I now have 1-button access to each mode. My basic presets are:

1. Dyne clean + compressor
2. V LO
3. V HI
4. Dyne clean + Tube Driver

I have the other pedals set up so that I can address them individually with the GCP. I can turn them all off by hitting one of the preset buttons. It makes complicated FX changes MUCH easier.

Latest posts

Back