Badlander 100 hum in 20 watt mode?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fr0sty

Reaction score
Hi all, just curious if anyone here with the badlander notices a slight hum when switching the amp into 20 watt mode? I contacted mesa support about it and they said it's normal because the "tubes are working harder" in that mode. Not sure I buy that, since my mark v 90 doesn't hum in 10 watt mode or any other mode :)

The noise is quieter than the noisy *** cooling fan, but I wanted to know if the hum really is expected or if I need to return my amp for a new one (already messaged sweetwater to ask out the noise). I tried a quartet of 6L6s and it was the same.

Anyone?

I had the 50 watt version for a brief time but did not notice any hum when cutting the wattage down, so either you're picking up interference from somewhere or the amp has an issue.

Replacement amp came yesterday and it hums less, but still a bit. Looks like it's: the way she goes boys.

New head has a much quieter fan, so i got that going for me, which is nice

Just got a Badlander 50 head. Not noticing hum in 20w mode. But the fan is loud. Ordered a new from Mesa’s site. Only $20. Not worth hassle of trying to warranty such a cheap item. If the replacement isn’t quieter I’ll go find one at a computer store.

I have a Badlander 100W. Did not notice any hum on the low power mode. However, since I do not use it at 20W that would explain it. Had to check mine just to make sure. Yep. 20W does have a slight hum to it even with the masters dialed out. According to Mesa website, 20W class A/B in triode. The other two power modes are Class A/B pentode. Interesting. The hum is not all that bad, probably why I did not noiticed it when I tried the 20W power the first time. With a 412 cab I can hear it. Not sure if it was notable with the vertical 212 cab. Makes me wonder if that hum gets sent out through the cab clone.

Latest posts

Back