Anyone else have one of these

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveythomas

Reaction score
Washburn SB-20 -- Anoyone else have one of these or ever play one?

I have had it for about 13 years. Can you tell me anything about it? Know what kind of pickups are in it or which ones would be good in it?

It has a neck through design.

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

Wow, haven't seen one of those in years!

Those were popular in the late 70s-early 80s. I think the pickups were Dimarzios. They were made in the US and considered pretty high quality at the time. Washburn was making guitars that were of the same caliber as Dean and Hamer in those days. That guitar is probably better than the majority of the Les Pauls made at the time.

Those were popular in the late 70s-early 80s

Well... almost. Washburn didn't start commercial production of electric guitars until 1982. There was a line with several models, all the same basic design, but various bells, whistles, woods, construction. I picked up a "T-bird" (low-end, short-lived part of the line) at a yard sale for $50 a few years ago. I think all the models had bird names... Raven, etc. Google around & you'll find a little info.

Cheez said:
Those were popular in the late 70s-early 80s

Well... almost. Washburn didn't start commercial production of electric guitars until 1982.

I know for certain that I played a Wasburn electric in February, 1980 (Loopfest, International Amphitheater, Chicago). This line of guitars was not new at the time.

Yup, my previous source must have been wrong:

"Washburn electric guitars debuted in1979, and featured U.S. designs and Japanese production" (https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF/EGuitar/ElectricSerialization.pdf)

great thing about the internet: you can always find an answer... not necessarily the right one.

On your second link, hit the second link down (or any of the Wing series links)... there's a listing on the chart for a Falcon SB...

I bought a Washburn Idol WI62 this week off eBay. Pretty cheap $329 delivered. Will need some electronics and I'll replace the pickups.

The wood is great mahogany body/neck, figured maple top, two humbuckers. Shaped a bit like a Les Paul but about the thickness of an SG. Compares to a Gibson SG I bought my son ... in fact it's the same red color as most SGs. Beats the SG Specials & Classics hands down.

Gold hardware, nice fret work, 18:1 tuners, doesn't have the VCC/Buzz tuning system ... didn't really want those. Great sustain unplugged so it does well with my boogie amp.

Downside is minor: Cheap switches, pots, caps, resisitors. I got some parts on the way ... take a couple of hours to rewire with quality parts.

The pickups for some reason are Epiphone '57 reissues ... DC resisitance about mid-8k. Sound good when low but muddy when turned up. I put a set of 490R/498T pickups from my son's Gibson SG Standard (he upgraded to Gibson '57/'57+ this year ... so they're free.

It's sounding great ... just a little more work to do. Will have a $800-$1000 class guitar for less tahn $400. :D

Latest posts

Back