Alnico Blues or Greenbacks with an LSS?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, thread resurrection time!

I went with Eminence Legend GB128's in my empty 2x12 cabinet. All I can say is Wow! Great speakers with the LSS. I am contemplating selling my 4x10 cab now after A/Bing the two together.

Do you have any sound clips available? I have a 2x12 extension cabinet with Celestion 30's in it. They sound a little brittle with the LSS.

boogieman90 said:
I put Golds in my 2x12 and love the difference. Greater seperation, clear tones, and volume. The **** thing breathes! It's alive.

Why did you choose golds over blues? To me the Blues would be the obvious choice for an LSS. The Blue is a freaking amazing speaker.

The Golds are great. My amp is a 2x12. With the high seeting of 33 watts on the amp I wanted to be certain that I didn't blow a cone, speaker etc. The 33 watts is a conservative rating. I listened to the Blues and didn't lose a thing by going Gold and gained a margin that makes me more comfortable.

edgarallanpoe said:
Save yourself a boatload of cash and get the Eminence Red Fang. It is an alnico speaker that sounds ****** close to the blues at a fraction of the price. Remember that the blues are rated at 15 watts IIRC. These are 50 watts, they are cheaper, and they sound as good and in some areas better than the Celestion.

http://www.eminence.com/guitar_speaker_detail.asp?model=REDFANG&speaker_size=12&SUB_CAT_ID=4

Alnico Blues: $229
Red Fangs: $195

Not sure you save a boat load there :shock:

boogieman90 said:
The Golds are great. My amp is a 2x12. With the high seeting of 33 watts on the amp I wanted to be certain that I didn't blow a cone, speaker etc. The 33 watts is a conservative rating. I listened to the Blues and didn't lose a thing by going Gold and gained a margin that makes me more comfortable.

Well, AC30s have had Blues for years and most people will tell you the Blue will take more than 15w. I dimed my AC15 with a Blue a number of times and it never gave me any troubles - I would just think you'd want the speaker breakup at high volumes, since that's part of "the sound."

Elpelotero said:
How about Tone Tubby's?

My thoughts exactly!!

If you can save just a few more bucks, the alnico Tone Tubbys will knock the domes off any other speaker you can put in there (other than EV's or JBL's). I have alnico TT's in a 2x12 closed back ported cab, and it is monster sound!

Alnico Blues: $229
Red Fangs: $195

Not sure you save a boat load there Shocked

Wow...those really went up in price since the last time I checked. Still, IIRC the Fang is rated at 30 watts which makes it a whole lot less likely to blow.

weber makes some great speakers. and there are plenty of different models depending on which direction you want the LSS to lean in. i was just trying out my new silver bell (50w, ceramic) with my maverick and it sounded awesome. better than the em. private jack i had in there before. it's a great rock speaker.

Latest posts

Back