80's Hair Metal Style Guitar

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Barchetta

Reaction score
I'm starting to toy with the idea of getting an 80's syle shred machine to relive my memories of that decade.....you know, 2 humbuckers or 2 single and 1 humbucker...with a Floyd Rose or Kahler trem....pointy headstock....you get the picture. Something like an old Jackson Soloist or some Ibanez....

Anybody have any suggestions for a new axe like that? Something not too pricey...below 2 grand definately...but great if even less....or maybe some vintage sweetie...hmmmmm.....choices, choices...

RB

well below 2 grand is a wide open range. especially since most of thoses style guitars are way below that range(if shopping conservitive). i saw this dude on e-bay who makes what he calls an "ibanED" it`s basically an ibanez gem all done up "VH" style

I guess I just don't know what's good out there in this style guitar anymore....I may be shooting WAY too high with the cost...but...I just need some suggestions for a Floyd-equipped, superfast neck, high output pickup axe. Probably won't play it that much either, now that I think of it...well...suggestions for specific guitars welcome, but maybe y'all could just tell me your favorites....

RB

My first reaction is an '88 or '89 Fender HM Strat. New maybe an Ibanez Satriani model?

http://www.kyowashokai.co.jp/caparison-eng/e-06product/e06dellingerse.html

dellingertb.gif

Here's my Big Hair 80's metal guitar. I bought her in '89 on Gardner and Sunset in Hollywood. She is still one of the best Ibanez's I have ever played. The color is Metal Leopard, USA Custom and her name is Bettie.
RGBettie.jpg

Maybe a used Charvel or Jackson Soloist? You're hair should grow double time and you can use the pointy end to put on eye liner before the show! heh.. Kidding. Can't go wrong with Charvels or Jacksons and you can find them used on ebay for less than 2k. Sometimes much less.

gear.jpg

Red Barchetta said:
I'm starting to toy with the idea of getting an 80's syle shred machine to relive my memories of that decade.....you know, 2 humbuckers or 2 single and 1 humbucker...with a Floyd Rose or Kahler trem....pointy headstock....you get the picture. Something like an old Jackson Soloist or some Ibanez....

RB

I am beginning to have the same sentiments. I have been chasing the elusive neckthrough tone forever trying to make it better and better. It only gets so good. I kind of miss the full-tilt shredding and wild antics of the 80s with even wilder guitars. My last Jackson was sold back in 95. My HM Floyd equipped humbucking Fender went in 94 when I got a Les Paul. The Ibanezs stopped coming through when I began the Jackson love affair. Man, I miss those axes...

Hee's the closest things I have to one of those old 80's guitars.

picture0035uu.jpg

The Kahler still needed to be setup when I took the pic. I just had it built by Gary Kahler and John about an hour before the pic. They offered to set it up but I have a tech that I regularly use. I just missed Kerry King being there when I walked in but still got some nice goodies anyway.

Dreads,
That isn't a 2205/2210 sitting on a bx cabinet is it?

I have a 1988 2210 sitting on an ax cabinet myself.

Carvin's make GREAT shred guitars.. the necks are so nice... the pickups sound great...

Here is a link of some 80's style metal on my Carvin DC127.. (hair metal color too!)

DC127 into ADA MP-1 Classic > Yamaha combo & a little delay..

http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=113116&cdate=20060510&ctime=133831

Ohh that custom looks like a nice gitter, looks shinyer than mine and better built, must be 'A' stock Les Paul isnt your grandad is he?

I have been lucky i guess Gibson in my experience are just phenominal. I have heard about problems but thankfully never experienced any

Searching for an 80's glam guitar?
-old pointy carvin in flashy colour
-kramer
-hamer

(all from 80's) They are really cheap and you get a killer axe :p

Latest posts

Back