77 Mesa MK 1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeddy

Reaction score
I've been snowed in for days, please indulge me. I dug my 77 Mk 1 out today and hooked it up to my pedal board and it sounds wonderful. I thought someone out there might care. Here's a pic

77MkI001.jpg

and the board

DSC01301.jpg

I had always thought of the amp as only having the "lead tone" but as a clean amp for pedals it really delivers. Now I've got to start getting my back in shape to start carrying out. :lol:

Wow, another MK I with a graphic EQ. It's so uncommon to see them.

How do you like the BB? I just ordered the BB limited edition in copper to replace my old Klon.

I am not a pedal guy other than a TC SCF and occasionally using the Klon as a clean boost for overdriving the clean channels, but from what I heard of the BB I could use it to overdrive the clean channel and go over the top in the lead channel. The true bypass is an added bonus.

Nice amp, but I really dig the small compact pedal board....

What brand is it? I've been looking for something like that :wink:

Sorry, just getting back to this.

The speaker is an Altec. The amp set on 5 and 5 with a Klon in front (clean boosted) sounds as good as anything I have.

BB Preamp is a Marshall in a box, don't replace the Klon with it. Place the Klon in front of it!

The pedal board, it's a pedal train. I also mod these to mount the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus under them. I ship them all over the US. I'll post a link about my mod.

the pedal train mod

http://www.hugeracksinc.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=29371&highlight=pedaltrain+mod

I'm the second owner and the first always kept it in the original Anvil case it came in. He also had the original bill of sells and the FETron. I had never even heard of one of those. I;ve got all the "stuff" the amp came with icluding the original tubes, Amprex pre's and the Sylvanian 6L6's.

I'm glad I snagged it. Hun-Rev with grapic. Too bad it wasn't a hard wood but you can't have evrything huh?

jakeddy said:
I'm the second owner and the first always kept it in the original Anvil case it came in. He also had the original bill of sells and the FETron. I had never even heard of one of those. I;ve got all the "stuff" the amp came with icluding the original tubes, Amprex pre's and the Sylvanian 6L6's.

I'm glad I snagged it. Hun-Rev with grapic. Too bad it wasn't a hard wood but you can't have evrything huh?

Do you ever play out with her?

No, I played a Mk III and then a Mk IV for over 15 years then I went to single channel amps (Dr Z for example) and pedals but after trying it I plan to start.

It's hard for me to explain the lead tone that I get from my Mark I using the Analogman modded Boss OD-1. It is not pedal-ish at all. I use it as more of a clean boost than anything. Try plugging a stereo cable and footswitch into the under chassis gain boost/EQ jack. This opens up a new window to the non-channel switching Boogie.

JOEY B. said:
It's hard for me to explain the lead tone that I get from my Mark I using the Analogman modded Boss OD-1. It is not pedal-ish at all. I use it as more of a clean boost than anything. Try plugging a stereo cable and footswitch into the under chassis gain boost/EQ jack. This opens up a new window to the non-channel switching Boogie.

I've got a '78 Boogie and have always played the single channel and I love the sound. Recently, I've been thinking about adding to that sound by using a TS9 (or like pedal) running through the 2nd channel input (bypassing the first V1 preamp tube) and making it switchable. Sort of a "good overdrive pedal thru a Fender" sound.

Is that what you are doing?

The"switch" that I'm speaking of is a 1/4" stereo jack underneath the chassis between the preamp and power tubes. I had the guy at ToneJones.com build me a stereo footswitch with LED's. I use it to switch the Gain boost feature and EQ of the Mark I on and off. You could use the OD pedal in the #2 input and use the Mesa A/B switch to go between input 1 and input 2+pedal. Or usa a 5751 tube in V1 and use the pedal in the input 1 for extra gain like I did.

Latest posts

Back