50 Caliber Plus Noise Issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

core

Reaction score
I bought a few of these over the past year. Had them all serviced and everything works perfectly.
The problem is that the amps make a "grounding hum" type of sound that is very noticeable when not playing or backing off the volume on my guitar.
Moving the ground switch does not help at all.
They all do it and they make the noise everywhere I play. I was wondering if any other fellow owners have experienced this problem, and if so, is it fixable?

The noise floor on these amps is high. I assume that is your issue and it's a matter of degree. It only bugs me if I think about it. ;-)

If I use just the power amp (e.g., modeler into FX return), the noise goes away.

I had one in the '90s for several years and I found it to be pretty noisy especially on the lead channel. Maybe more on the hiss than the hum side of thiings though. Most of the problem was undetectable if you were playing in a band as the drummer's cymbals masked that frequency range. I did manage to record with it but it was often at very high volumes which made the noise floor less noticaeble in the context of the rock music I was playing. There wasn't a lot of rests in the music where the noise was apparent.

It could be due for a cap job if the hum is becoming difficult to endure.Were these changed or assesed at its last service?

wildschwein said:
I had one in the '90s for several years and I found it to be pretty noisy especially on the lead channel. Maybe more on the hiss than the hum side of thiings though. Most of the problem was undetectable if you were playing in a band as the drummer's cymbals masked that frequency range. I did manage to record with it but it was often at very high volumes which made the noise floor less noticaeble in the context of the rock music I was playing. There wasn't a lot of rests in the music where the noise was apparent.

It could be due for a cap job if the hum is becoming difficult to endure.Were these changed or assesed at its last service?

Yes it was just gone over by a certified Mesa tech. He didn't seem to notice the hum as much as I do. It is a bit difficult in live situations when you are not playing and have no way to mute it. I have the lead channel on all of the time as I play heavier stuff, but if I drop my volume knob and try to play softer, it is audible which is frustrating.

I love the amp and the monster tone I get from it, but the extra noise is a bit frustrating.

Back