4x12 Recto Cab Help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRevMFB

Reaction score
well i don't know what's up with my cab. yet right now here's the issue.

i run a mesa oversize 4x12.

when i plug into the mono jack, only the left side works.

plugging into the top stereo jack, nothing.

bottom stereo jack, the right side works yet sounds more muddy than the other side.

can anyone tell me what's going on?

and this is an older model cab so there is not an "out" mono jack.

Time to pull the back and make sure all your speakers are wired correctly and or check the jack itself. If you bought the cab used, who knows what sorts of modifications or tampering it may have undergone. I believe just about any Mesa manual will have a series and parallel diagram in the speaker section.

Should be relatively easy to inspect and trace. Be sure you check the continuity of all wires if nothing looks amiss or altered. The back is kind of tough to get off, if you have any questions let us know.

i've owned the cab for 5 years and there has never been an issue with it.

well i figured out the problem.

two of the leads going to the stereo jacks somehow ended up touching one another.

looks like it happened due to one of the stereo jacks nut coming loose so the jack rotated just enough to touch the opposite lead.

this pic shows the leads that were touching.

mesa should really shield those things. :facepalm:

IMG00238.jpg

ryjan said:
A little electrical tape now will insure this never happens again. :wink:

yeah i just might be doing that, or i was thinking of unsoldering one end of each exposed lead and slip some heat shrink over it.

i'll most likely do this when i find some 8ohm g12t75's to x pattern with the v30's

TRevMFB said:
i'll most likely do this when i find some 8ohm g12t75's to x pattern with the v30's
Actually, that's the setup I'm running. I have to say that with my Recto, I don't love it. All V30s sound less sterile.

With my JCM 900, on the other hand, it's awesome! What kind is yours? Do you like it? What do you make of the B channel, or do you use A exclusively like I do?

Latest posts

Back