1987 50 Caliber Recap?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyhawk13

Reaction score
I am the original owner of this non eq combo. I don't use the combo very often, especially since I bought the Quad and 50/50. I wanted to tame this little beast a bit by putting an Eminence Cannabis Rex and a tamer preamp tube in V2. I finally got around to the project, and took the entire amp apart for a cleaning while I was at it.

While I have it apart, should I change the capacitors?

A brief history on the amp.
It was serviced while under warranty around 1989.

Around 1992, my drummer disconnected the speaker cable without my knowledge, and the little Boogie turned into an expensive smoke machine. I shipped it off to Petaluma, and Mike Bendalini repaired it. It has not been serviced since. It doesn't sound any noisier than it always has, and the caps I can see do not look bad.

Pardon the dust, it was in a room with a rabbit and 2 cockatiels.

Dusty .jpg

Damage from 1992:
Notch.jpg

There is discoloration on the PCB in the upper right hand corner, and a small notch removed near the master volume. IT has been this way since it was last serviced.

I just went ahead and put the amp back together. I had a little scare when everything looked fine, the light was on, the tubes were glowing, but no sound came through the speaker.
I shot it off, unplugged it, and let it be for a day.

While I was at work, I remembered years ago I lost three of the original chassis screws, and used longer 8-32 screws.
I replaced the screws with shorter ones, and it works great! One of the screws was touching the input jack.

The speaker sounded a bit dull with an Epiphone 335 with GFS Mean 90's, but the next day I tried my Gretsch with TV Jones Classics, and it sounds beautiful.
I don't think I will need to use the 5751 in V1 or V2 like I planned.

With the master at 6-7, and the volume at 2-3, it gave me the gritty sound I was looking for.
I may look for an overdrive pedal. I know that sounds blasphemous, but the lead mode is too much for what I am looking for.

Back