10" speakers for Mark 1 ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdove

Reaction score
Anyone had experiences with 10" speakers with the Mark series? I have a 1x12 EV speaker ... would like to combine with a 1x10 or 2x10 spaker combo. Might even consider a 4x10.

Tell me about experiences you've had and sources for 10" cabinets that would work well with the Mark series.

I have two 410 cabs from Avatar that use Celestions latest 10" speaker the G10 Vintage. I really like these cabs. I use one with a THD Univalve and the other with a Mark IV. The description on the Celestion site sums it up best: http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/classic/detail.asp?ID=31
Edit: I see now that Avatar has changed their G410 cab from closed to semi-open back and changed the speakers from Celestion G10's to Eminence Ramrod 10's. Why I don't know.

Dear Kdove

From my limited experience, I've found that in the (Fender) open back designs, four 10" speakers sound better than one or two 10" speakers.

I have found the 4 X 10" speakers to have the nice bass response of 12" speaker setup, but with that 10" speaker sound.

I dare say a different speaker cab, Kevin O'Connors detuned cabs for example, could change everything though.

Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott

Where can I find information on these Kevin O'Connor detuned cabinets?

I'm really surprised that there are not any 2x10 extension cabinets out there. I built the 1x12 cabinet back in the 70's and it looks as good as the original boogie stuff. At the same time, I built a 2x10 version loaded with JBLs ... sold it years ago.

I think I may need to borrow some wood working equipment (sold that too) and make another cabinet. I think a 2x10 cabinet @ 8 ohms combined with the 1x12 @ 8 ohms would be a cool cabinet combo. I'm thinking a 2x10 slant cabinet sitting on the bottom ... 1x12 on top ... then the head. That would be slick.

Man I wish I still had that cabinet ... I was a top drawer cabinet. And they don't make these JBLs 10" guitar speakers anymore.

I have a MarkII C+ that I used to use with an old Marshal 4X10 closed back and it sounded great.I also have a Peavy 4X10 open back cab that I use from time to time and it sounds good-not as tight as the Marshall cab but I like it.I use this cab in combination with the 12" EV that is in the combo.

These guys have a 2x10 listed in their prices ... very pricy ... but looks like good work. http://www.vintageboogie.com/ I asked them for a picture.

I might be able to buy the wood working equipment to get back into building them again for this kinda loot. I built the 12" cabinet in the pix 28 years ago ... still looks good. This is mine

B_Boogie.jpg
[/url]

5 months later ... :D

Well I pulled the trigger ... 2x10 cab is on the way ... sealed back. I'll let you guys know how it worked out next week.

Combo will be 8 ohm 12" EVM12L & 2x10 8 ohm together sealed cabinet. Ordered the cab off ebay loaded with Eminence Legends.

I like the mix. The EVM12L is clear and doesn't really break up. The 2x10 Eminience are cheaper speakers and have some break up. Also, a bit of bass response from the sealed 2x10. I tried mics on both and mixing them ... it's pretty good. I think it will improve as the 10s break in.

You can do either 1x12, 2x10 or both. But if I had to have one or the other ... no question that the 1x12 EVM12L is the better sounding speaker. Not unexpected.

Latest posts

Back